LionfishLair Forum!

LionfishLair Forum!

• January 23, 2019, 03:58:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Renee, Internet private eye. No page unturned...no blog unread.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marbled Crayfish Experiance  (Read 2197 times)

Redtack

• Fellow Predator
Marbled Crayfish Experiance
« on: December 02, 2015, 03:41:36 AM »

While I was still battling with my picky fuzzy, I got my hands on some marbled crayfish.  I found that this isn't a much talked about species as I was only able to find a couple of pages of info on them.  So I am hoping to add to the knowledge base a little with my experience with them.

I got two in July and they were just under 1".  within a month they both molted and by October they were 3+".  That was when they both berried and in November they both gave birth.  So I can confirm that they do indeed reproduce asexually.  Funny thing was that with the molting and birthing, they were a week apart.
Tonight when I have a little more time I'll give the details of what husbandry I did and their behaviors.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Proven Predator
  • Off to Charm City!
Re: Marbled Crayfish Experiance
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 05:09:02 AM »

Hope it works out. Anything I found online said provide lots of cover for the young.
Tankless in Baltimore

Redtack

• Fellow Predator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 12:42:54 PM »

Thanks Ralph.  I think having a coarse substrate satisfied that.  The craylets are almost a month old now, and I have more than I can count (last Monday, it was well over 25).  I haven't seen any signs of the adults eating the young. Some of them are almost half inch now.

The tank is about as basic as it gets.  It is a 10 gal with red lava rock (Landscaping type) and bio barrels for substrate.  A sponge filter and some stuff to climb on.  I do have a heater but it is not necessary, I just use it incase we lose power and the water drops below room temp (speed up the warm-up).  I use 1" pvc for the condos, cut 4-5".  Probably  going to start using 5 1/2, since the two adults are now approaching 4".  I am going to do the exact same set up in the 55 I am moving them too.  (Kind of sad about that.  It made a great table in my den)

Food,  I have been using 50/50 blend of formula one and two pellets placed in a small glass bowl (Easier to siphon up the left overs).  About once a week I throw a small piece of norii in.  If I have shrimp left over from the lions and anemones, I give them some.

Temperment.  Surprisingly non aggressive.  They do have some attitude, and love to do what looks like sumo wrestling with each other.  After I was confident the craylets would make it, I moved one adult into my other freshwater tank.  She is doing very well.  That tank is around 75F.  She is in with Angels, Mollies and Ghost shrimp.  Again I haven't seen any signs of aggression other than making sure she gets the piece of food she wants.  Oddly they are not very interactive with me,   If they are looking for food, they don't care if I am near the tank.  If they are just wandering around, they take off as soon as I get near.  If my hand enters the tank with some shrimp in it, they come running and are very gentle as they take it from me.  then they skidaddle again.

Misc.  observations:  When they molt, they do eat the skin within a day or two, so leave it.  When they are ready to reproduce, they each pulled a rock into their tube to block it similar to Mantis'.  They would not come out or eat for several weeks.  It was not normal for the tube to be blocked so I worried a little bit.  I didn't know what was going on until they came out and there were small specks everywhere.They were VERY hungry when they finally came out, and I went through a little more pellets then usual.  But they did not eat the young.   

I mainly put down the stuff I would have liked to know prior to getting them.  I hope this helps.

rayn

• Global Moderator
  • Proven Predator
  • Owner of the 20k post!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »

Awesome info!  Don't know much about them, but it seems like you are a pound tank parent.
First to be in the doghouse and live to tell about it!

Redtack

• Fellow Predator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 04:47:43 AM »

Thanks Rayn!  I think I'm happy more than proud.  Can't really feel proud because these guys are way too easy.  Even though nitrates and phosphates are high they eat most of the resultant algae, so keeping the tank clean is even easy.  It is kind of scary to realize how many craylets make it, and each one can reproduce.

Just remembered one other thing about compatibility.  They are not compatible with live plants.  I had some ferns in the Angel tank.  Momma cray has pulled all the shoots out, and really doesn't look like she is doing it for food.  No clue why, she just seems bent on their destruction.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:58:44 AM by Redtack »

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Proven Predator
  • Off to Charm City!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 05:17:50 AM »

1/2" long? Time to feed some of them out soon to the hungry lions  *thumbsup

Sounds super simple. Great alternative for easy to breed live food.
Tankless in Baltimore

Redtack

• Fellow Predator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »

Thanks Ralph.  I am going to have to feed them to the lions eventually.  Unfortunately craylets are incredibly cute.  Right now I am fooling myself into believing it is best to wait until they become a self sustaining treat source  *wink3

Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Proven Predator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 03:59:28 PM »

Very cool and great info.  Thanks for sharing and please update as you learn more.! *thumbsup
AKA: Shrimpy Brains

Al

• Global Moderator
  • Proven Predator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 11:32:16 AM »

STupid question are these SW crayfish?
Al, Fish Pimp

Amy

• Global Moderator
  • Proven Predator
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 04:06:47 PM »

STupid question are these SW crayfish?

At least you asked.  I want to know, but didn't ask!  Thanks!
AKA: Shrimpy Brains

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Proven Predator
  • Off to Charm City!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 04:09:38 AM »

FW.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwater/feature-articles/owning-clones.htm

Could totally see why everyone hates them as an invasive species if they can clone like that.
Tankless in Baltimore

Redtack

• Fellow Predator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 08:30:39 AM »

Ack!  Sorry for being late on this.
They are Freshwater. (Doing well at room temp and at mild tropical, untreated hard well water)  I whole heartily agree with the danger of their becoming invasive.  They are very hardy, and a good portion of the fry survive, then they grow extremely fast.  Good grief, they molted just over a month old.  I am so afraid of it that I let my drain water sit for 15 min so that I can be sure none are in there.  Don't want cray monsters climbing out of my septic.
But......Lions do love them!  They are not picky so gut loading is easy.

Ralph

• Global Moderator
  • Proven Predator
  • Off to Charm City!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 04:32:21 AM »

Need some feeding vids  *devilpoint
Tankless in Baltimore

Redtack

• Fellow Predator
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 08:39:37 AM »

I'm not ignoring you Ralph  :-).  My in-laws are here and I don't want them to find out exactly how big of a geek I really am.  Mrs. Redtack promised to help me once life is back to mundane.
Pages: [1]   Go Up